I found myself awake at 7:45 for the CEP Spring Service Day, an unfortunate necessity to make up for lost time. On the way over to Curry, I witnessed someone taking the Walk of Shame for the first time - some girl who was obviously dressed for a party. 8 a.m. seems like a rough time to walk the Walk. At Curry, I found that Amy, Sean and Laura were also in attendance, and Laura and I ended up in the same group. We were first assigned to help the Mural Club (which we had no idea existed) with some little paintings, then took off for the MS Walk cleanup at Harvard. It was a piece of cake since there wasn't much to do and there were a lot of us, and I scored two mini backpacks full of bagels, another plastic sleeve of bagels, and a bag of bananas, not to mention the free volunteer shirt. Laura and I played 20 Questions to pass the time, with "swag" being an amusingly difficult choice of object. ("It's a thing...sometimes abstract, sometimes not...think of it more as an umbrella term...") When we got back to Curry, everyone else had already finished, so I added three pizzas and a box of coffee to my tremendous food haul. Much later, Alaric and I shared 1 a.m. coffee, which was both the best and worst idea. We spent a lot of time laughing at a Forbes list of annoying corporate slang. ("Price point" for "price"? Why?)
Quotes of the day:
"Those last few inches are a real doozy." - Laura
"We're the bagel bandits." - a volunteer
"It was like the locust version of cleaning up. I would ask them to do something and it was done." - Emily, supervisor at the MS Walk
"He's some kind of international man of mystery who we've never seen, has a heavy Spanish accent and is in a different time zone every time he calls us. 'I am calling from Honduras!'" - another volunteer, about his landlord
"It's dinner and a show. You get to watch people fight, people are breaking up... It's the best." - Sean, our group leader, on BHOP
"Disgust glands activated." - me
"...Hair goblins..." - me
"The orgs are almost syncing!" - Alaric
"...Synergy flow..." - Alaric
"It's like the cutting edge, but more cutting-er." - Alaric, on the "bleeding edge"
"You know, I'm kind of sad that sneaking into convents isn't still a thing. I guess there's still Simmons College..." - me
"You guys are loopy." - Sean
"What's the website for google.com?" - Alaric
"Corporations only share one value, which is dollars." - Sean, on "corporate values"
"The ijicy is rampant in this one." - Alaric
"'Double Sweat'? Can that be an energy drink? It actually does what the Gatorade commercials used to look like." - me
...
Me: "Hear ye, hear ye. It is officially that time."
Alaric: "Dude, it's 1:00 [a.m.] It's the earliest that time has ever happened!"
No comments:
Post a Comment