I decided to put in a couple of hours at the Prison Book Program this evening. Unfortunately, I took the Red Line two stops down the wrong branch before I realized my mistake. Along with a college-age, female stranger, I got off there and waited around. At the same moment, she and I both realized that we had to be on another platform (where another train was just arriving) and ran up through the station, laughing and trying not to fall down the stairs. It was the first time in a while, if ever, that I can remember being so happy with someone I'd never met. The whole affair was quite silly. Volunteering was nondescript, though there was a wonderful moment when a prisoner's letter asked for a book on Roman history, something by Lee Child, and another narrowly topical book, and he got one of each. On the bus home, I finished The Signal and the Noise, as well as Long Day's Journey Into Night. It feels good to be reading books again, after such a long drought.
Quote of the day:
"The competition with DP is stiff..." - Sean
No comments:
Post a Comment