I had quite a dream. If you hate this kind of thing, please skip this admittedly huge paragraph. The first sequence began at a deep, dark auditorium somewhere inside my old high school where some type of concert was taking place. I don't remember what sort of music it was -- some kind of classical fusion -- but the person at the front of the stage was draped in black and making huge, batlike gestures, and the music was earsplittingly loud. I excused myself, put on my purple sweater and walked to my co-op advisor's office(!), ignoring an awkward colleague from camp along the way. Due to the concert I was an hour late to class, and was wordlessly handed a huge stack of graded papers. I attempted to protest but only a hoarse croak emerged from my throat, which seemed to elicit a small amount of pity. The scene dissolved, and the second sequence opened on a rambling road trip. At first I was driving with Iris, and as we swung through a rain-washed bend slick with autumn leaves, she commented on how it felt like Massachusetts. We climbed up over a wooded mountain road, coming out near a gravelly clearing, which reminded me of New York. As we descended another hill under thick shade (somewhere in Virginia), she asked if she could come over later. I said yes, then recanted as I realized that I had a big Cities and Suburbs paper due(!!) Everything shifted, and I found myself driving with Sabrina now. A sunset glimmered over the horizon as we drove past barns and fields of corn, and despite the earlier mountain road, this really felt like I was going home. This was soon pushed out of my mind as every time we passed something on the roadside, I was dragged through it. When I complained (flying through a wire fence and then a marsh was the last straw), Sabrina said that she was driving on the road. At this point we were standing outside of the vehicle and inspecting the damage to my face, and I realized that her hair was blonde and her facial structure altogether different. Independently of this observation, I realized that there was no way she could be telling the truth unless reality was simply illogical, at which point I concluded aloud, "Then I must be dreaming!" Sabrina laughed nervously but said nothing (apparently person-constructs in dreams cannot acknowledge the nature of their existence) and everything slipped into darkness.
Naturally, when I woke up I was immediately disgruntled that my dreams are telling me to get to work. Before going in on my Cities and Suburbs paper (due tomorrow, so attempt #2 at finishing one of these in 24 hours), I chose to grab lunch. The timing worked out, I ran into the Delivery Man making conversation with a friend, and we ended up going to Rebecca's together. David had to duck out for a DiffEq study session, so I was left with the friend, a disarming girl named Colleen. I thought we had met before and was loath to "reintroduce" myself, so we chatted for ten minutes before we knew each other's name. We were joined by her friend, an intimidatingly motivated freshman named John. This guy already has a legitimate NGO with eight employees, focusing on "leapfrog technologies" in less developed countries. Together, they made excellent lunch conversation. New friends for the win! And finally, to work. I chugged away at my paper on the health effects of sprawl in Los Angeles all night, making steady progress throughout. Maybe getting rolled by last night's attempted all-nighter was actually beneficial in terms of sleep.
Quote of the day:
"I have lots of 'breast' ideas. As in, I think about them. A lot." - The Delivery Man, after Colleen misspoke
No comments:
Post a Comment