Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Keep It Funny

Author's note: Later, I regrettably remembered that Tarantino's cameo in Django was not silent. Regardless, I will leave that sentence intact, because it was a dream worth having.

          I went to Boston with my father for a second interview at the one-man law firm. We arrived without incident, though I was mildly offended by a Good Humor ad proclaiming, "The Cooler Boston Pops." (I concede that it was clever.) We had a few hours to wait, so we wandered around near State Street for a while, seeing the sights. After grabbing lunch at an old bar called the Hub Pub a little way up the street, we walked over to City Hall. This led to a weird moment when we cut through the alley next to the New England Center for Homeless Veterans. Toward that end of the alley, there were three grim-looking vets smoking, one of them in a wheelchair; at the City Hall end, there were three young guys in Hawaiian shirts guffawing and clearly smoking marijuana. It was a strange contrast, a sort of reminder that life isn't always on your side, and made me somewhat uncomfortable.
          The interview was rife with pressure as always. I know that it didn't go poorly, but whether it went well is not a call I can make. Once again, fingers crossed for this ordeal to end happily. We took the Orange Line but found that the stop we entered is inbound only for some reason, so we had to get off and change trains at Haymarket to get back to Ruggles. My father successfully embarrassed me as usual, whistling on the train. As Mr. Classic Rock McManly himself, he also blew my mind when he started singing a Death Cab song (so hip!) under his breath on the way home. I recovered at the garage with Brian and Josh, where we watched Django Unchained. Long story short: It was an incredible film, Quentin Tarantino outdid himself once again (and thankfully played a silent cameo role), and Jamie Foxx is actually a solid actor. Also, the blue suit is the greatest thing ever -- he looks like a French prince turned pirate. 9/10, would watch again.
          Quotes of the day:
"Inefficiency through efficiency." - me
"My dad had a shit fit today. This is the condensed version." - Brian
"What's this pig-fuckin' cracka doing?" - Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment