Saturday, June 1, 2013

Circle of Strife

          I dreamed about waiting in the snack bar line at Saugerties Jr. High School. (Around here, elementary is K-6, junior high 7-8, and high school 9-12.) Though the cafeteria lights were out, the room was packed with riotous students eating and cavorting about. One girl was laughing uncontrollably, and soon I was laughing along, as were all the people nearby. We were scolded by Ryan's new principal at Morse, who was apparently in charge here. I was meekly silent until I realized, "Wait, I don't go here!" I ran down a defunct, collapsing version of the main staircase, which terminated in a rubble-filled pit surrounded by old, broken windows. I climbed over a chain-link fence blocking a gap between these, walked out on to the grass, and entered a conversation with an old classmate named David. Unlike every real-world conversation we've had since after puberty, it wasn't awkward at all, and we discussed dog breeds and finals schedules. He also informed me that "a platypus is what a quahog is."
          Another day, another dish shift. I expected today to be hot as hell, but it ended up not being so bad. I also learned how to prep shiitake and portabella mushrooms; the former are kind of foamy and enjoyable to tear into pieces, while the latter are caked in dirt and have little black bugs that I was responsible for finding and squashing. I was done by 11:30, Brian came over and hung out for a bit, and then we retreated to the garage.
          Quotes of the day:
"God dammit, I just wrote on a million people's walls by accident that I beat them at Snake." - Brian
[reading Facebook drama under his breath] "...fuck you whore..." - Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment