Sunday, June 2, 2013

Smile Activated Bat Gear

          Brian, Logan and I headed for Alterniverse this morning to play a Fear Itself clix booster draft, a Marvel story revolving primarily around the Asgardians (for non-comic book people, Thor and a bunch of other mystical Norsemen.) If I haven't previously explained this, a booster draft is a small, double-elimination tournament wherein everyone buys a booster of five random figures, builds a team of a predetermined point value and battles it out. For this one, we were required to bring along an extra 100-point figure, so I added Baron Zemo to my newly acquired Monkey King and Ms. Marvel (all Thor'd up version). My first match was a complete travesty. The dice were with me, and Adam's rolled unbelievably poorly. I wiped out his entire team without taking so much as a point of damage (excluding a click of pushing damage which I took by choice), I scored two critical hits (double sixes) during said beatdown, and the game ended with his last character, Hawkeye, killing himself with a critical miss (double ones). My luck turned for the worse in my second game, a narrow loss, and my third, which was essentially the opposite of my first and a complete bad-dice-juju steamroll. Over dinner and post-draft trades at Logan's, I deduced that Steve was guilty of my recent hacking.
          Logan, Brian and I journeyed to the garage to watch Justice League: Crisis On Two Earths, an animated film of unexpected quality. Nerd highlight: Batman indisputably killing at least one, if not two, characters. We were joined by Summer and Josh, and we all had a fine time chilling out and shooting the shit. Summer told one particularly gruesome story about a local guy who was busy tagging a train car when another train flew by and severed his arm and leg with its plow. He collapsed and wasn't found until morning, but the cold saved his life, freezing his wounds shut.
          Quotes of the day:
"Asgardian Name: The Verb." - me
"You gotta go in early to get the primo cougars, they don't sleep much." - Steve
"They turned Gotham into an alternate version of Manhattan just to piss me off!" - Cliff
"I just figured out, we need Bill Cosby here to explain the rules to us." - Steve
"Jamie Foxx black? Or Cuba Gooding Jr. black, where we can pass him off as white with a quick makeup job?" - Cliff
"He pulled a Batman to deduce that it was my dad." - Logan
"Yeah, she just got Nicki Minaj'd, actually." - me
"He just shit his pantaloons!" - Brian
"I fuckin' know where she lives! I could pull into her driveway right now!" - Josh
"Andy eats chocolate as if it's his fucking day job." - Brian
...
Logan: "That's Hulk? Why does he have cornrows?"
Brian: "He's urban."
...
Steve: "We need to work that new ability into the game: 'Electric Slide.'"
Adam: "Mess up once during the dance and you're finished!"
...
Logan: "How does he activate that face guard?"
Me: "By smiling."
...
Josh: "I can dream, guys."
Summer: "Yeah, but I can live it."
...
Logan: "She used to have a huge crush on you."
Josh: "Apparently, so did every other girl in the United States."

No comments:

Post a Comment