We arrived early for game one against Drexel and applied face paint at the arena. The fan section, small as it was, definitely psyched out the Dragons during foul shots; I got to bring up a brand new trumpet for the tournament, and it's pretty much a magical talisman for my playing skills and confidence. (Of course, I threw my customary red and black beads on it, because individualism rox. Northeastern was ahead in the latter part of the second half, and Drexel turned to the strategy of continually forcing foul shots to stall the clock and slow down the Huskies' scoring chances. The last two minutes of the game took fifteen minutes to elapse, and four Drexel players fouled out in a futile shot at holding us off. The Huskies responded with cool heads and precise foul shots to finish the Dragons, 90-81. This is the second time we've beaten them in men's basketball this week. It's also the second time we've beaten them in men's basketball since 1999. Go dogs, go dogs, go!
We were taken to a different venue for dinner tonight. Midtown BBQ & Brew is an eatery that looks like it was installed in an apartment, emptied of personal belongings just hours before. It has several floors, chambers that were obviously bedrooms, shag carpeting, and a weird escape hatch that I kept wondering about. We obtained platefuls of scrumptious BBQ sliders and kielbasa, then quickly staked out two couches positioned in front of a flatscreen TV. Feeling lighthearted, we sought out a hockey game and found a Coyotes v. Capitals matchup. I know nothing about the first team, but actively dislike the second, so most of us fell on the side of the 'Yotes. They scored at the end of the first period, we jumped up and hollered, and left the restaurant feeling triumphant. (Not to mention full of pulled pork.)
Back at the hotel, four of us played several rounds of completely sober Drug Dealer. Since the dealer had a one in three chance of winking at the cop, they went quickly, and of course Jared consistently ended up being the cop. A little while later, I went with Sabrina, Jared, Gavin and Peter on a nighttime walk to the harbor. We smoked cigars of moderate quality and took a million photographs. We were then posed with a decision: (1) head left along the water to check out the aquarium, a submarine and other cool ships, or (2) go right and climb up a manmade hill, the historical location of a fort overlooking the port. We chose the hill, and were soon gazing out over the skyline. Again, Baltimore surprised me with a flash of beauty. Set back from the rampart side of the hill was a playground. Some youths were smoking in the jungle gym, but I paid them no mind and went straight to the swing set. It has been a long, long time since I had a good swing, and as I loosened up, it felt like flying. I devolved into wild laughter. I was filled with a brilliant happiness the likes of which I haven't felt in months, at the least.
Once I climbed off, I was in full kid mode. I burned this remaining energy by rolling down the hill, a speedy and bumpy experience. We returned to the hotel to drink and play more Drug Dealer with a variety of folks. I had a conversation with Charlie for the first time, and he regaled me with stories of fake IDs and getting beat up by a gang outside of Ruggles(!) This night slowly lurched to an end, and I collapsed into bed as soon as the lights were out.
Quotes of the day:
"First time having sex...first shamrock shake...first time having sex...first shamrock shake..." - me, comparing
"The air doesn't hurt!" - Gavin
"Creamy Caesar is my porn star name." - me
"Let's all go to Dragon Land!" - me
"It's okay, nobody is driving." - JL, pouring us more water
"Knock knock knockin' on Kevin's door..." - Peter
"If I was the invading army, I would have just taken the stairs." - Jared, re: the fort
"Do I remind you of the patriarchy?" - me
...
Matt T: "If you miss this shot, you lose your scholarship!" [The arena is quiet. Drexel player misses his foul shot.]
Husky fans: "Stu-dent loans...stu-dent loans..."
...
Peter: "I am out of it today."
Me: "Know who else is out of it? Drexel."
Re: our cigars...
Baltimore Loafer 1: "Damn, those some fat ass blunts."
Baltimore Loafer 2: "Damnnnn! They's two of those mofuckas!"
...
Peter: "What just cracked there, Sabrina?"
Sabrina: "My left butt."
![]() |
| The boys are back in town. |
![]() |
| "Fly by night away from here. Change my life again." |


No comments:
Post a Comment