Saturday, March 1, 2014

Willem Dafoe / Willem Dafriend

          Alanna, Julia and I went on a failed trip today, despite all efforts. We had fun at the MFA, where the featured exhibits were patron-voted works of Impressionism (great), Abstract Expressionism (amazing), Art of the Americas, and "Think Pink," a gallery of pink objects. We also rambled through the Asiatic and Ancient World sections, with a stop here and there. I particularly enjoyed the work of Willem de Kooning, one of the foremost of the expressionists. Once we were finished at the museum, the three of us shared lunch at Pho Basil; I settled on the battle-tested Massaman curry with beef, and we split a couple helpings of shumai as well. The music on their speakers today was adahdfaudhbayd, notably a jungly tune that sounded like it was from the Donkey Kong soundtrack. After a stop at Boloco for Nutella milkshakes, we went our separate ways. Diverging from my original plan, I attended the men's hockey game versus BU, and ended up wishing I hadn't. For the second time in two days, we were beaten by the second worst team in Hockey East, completing the weekend sweep. The final score was a painful 4-2, though we found solace in one of those two points being an own goal by BU's goaltender. (He scrambled around looking for the puck, retreated into the goal, and it fell off his back and into the net.) After their win yesterday, JL consoled us by email: "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while." This second loss should provoke some questions for the players and coaching staff. As soon as the drubbing was over, Malcolm, Iris, and Julia came to our place for conversation group therapy.
          Quote of the day:
"Andy, if we lose this game, want to go mix it up with some BU fans?" - Matt T
"I just hate BU so much." - Matt T, ad nauseam

De Kooning - Excavation (1950)

De Kooning - Woman, I (1952)

No comments:

Post a Comment