I slept in for my day off and had another dream about Vietnam. It started off innocuously enough: I was in front of a Barnes & Noble-type bookstore with Ryan L and Sabrina, and we were watching some randoms cosplaying as Pokemon for an indeterminate event. Everyone but me boarded a line of buses and left. I remained outside and found myself at my elementary school back home. Mr. Davis, my gym teacher for my first couple of years in school, was mowing the lawn out front. He didn't recognize me when I waved, but stopped to recount a story from his younger days. I found myself in his flashback, memories of soldiering in a platoon in Vietnam. With two other men, I cautiously approached a covered trailer in a jungle clearing. Six or seven Viet Cong regulars ran out of the woods, shooting as they advanced. One of my squadmates dropped immediately; the other fled. I covered behind a tree as one of the VC primed a grenade, but he fumbled it and it detonated in their midst. I came out from my hiding place and found bodies strewn all over the ground. I'd have to ensure that they were all dead, and wondered out loud at how to do so. A dying VC rasped, "Shut up! Watch. Wait. The truth is here." The scene dissolved to the sounds of moaning and flowing blood.
Hockey fever reached new heights today, as I listened to the Bruins vs. Blackhawks game in the shower. Comcast stuck another knife in my ribs by working perfectly until immediately before the Bruins scored. I felt better when Boston scored again, 13 seconds later, when Crawford was caught out of net and knocked it off the posts while trying to leap back into position. Comcast knifed me again by cutting out right before the review call was made, but the score ended at 3-0 anyhow. I like to think that the Bruins won this one for those firefighters killed in Back Bay -- rest in peace. Iris came over to make corn muffins and smoothies, and Alaric joined us to listen to the Lightning vs. Islanders game. I hate the Islanders, but tonight I had their back for being the underdogs against a team I have little love for. The game went to an unbelievable 13-round shootout that Tampa Bay ultimately captured, but the hockey was so exciting that we didn't care. Iris and I had a long conversation, and I went for a fantastic 4 a.m. run to the Rent soundtrack. I felt unusually good throughout the run, and followed with an all nighter to cram for another Environmental Science "midterm."
Quote of the day:
"I'm for blender rights. I don't use blenders that aren't equal treatment blenders. Farm-raised." - Sean
No comments:
Post a Comment