We reached Baltimore just before dusk, and my first impressions were of a sprawling city a few decades past its prime. The streets are very wide, and many of the buildings look empty or are boarded up. Though not precisely dirty, the area where we're staying is not beautiful. It's certainly less picturesque than Pittsburgh. Peter and I are rooming together, and hiked up to the 8th floor to find an enormous suite awaiting us. We dropped like stones, vaped and rested for a few minutes. Soon enough, it was time to join up with the rest of the gang for dinner. The designated eatery was a nondescript sort of bar/restaurant called Maisy's, just five minutes' walk from the hotel. We were herded downstairs into a small room with the cheerleaders, the fan section, and the band all squeezed together. We were treated to a couple of surprisingly tasty pasta dishes, salad, chicken, and an extremely limited amount of pizza. The food was served buffet style and was quickly wiped out every time more came out, and I was lucky (and observant) to snag a piece of pizza when it came out of the kitchen. Someone clearly goofed on logistics, but it all shook out fine.
After dinner, Peter, Sabrina and I shared another vape session; on a tip from Ariel, we had invited Emily to join us, but she didn't show. I then hunting for drink with Ariel and Chelsea; first, to a super sketchy late-night liquor store, and then to a super sketchy 7/11 that made me think, "This place is definitely knocked over at least twice a year." I was captivated by a tallboy can with Shaq's face on it -- "Soda Shaq", specifically orange cream soda -- and settled on that for an experimental chaser. On the walk back, we discussed the wildly varying architecture in Baltimore (some of it more beautiful than it seemed at first.) We also hated on the wide-open highway spaces and general air of desolation; even in the witching hour, Boston never feels so dead. Even the more-or-less rural area I grew up in seems a little bit alive at night, though it tends more toward the "rustling wildlife/Rip van Winkle/Indian burial ground" type of ambience.
Our room was the scene of a remarkable party, involving Ariel, Jared, Chelsea, Haley, Luke, Griffin, Gavin, Peter, Sabrina, Malcolm, Sara, Eminem, and Anthony. We took advantage of the large group and played several rounds of Drug Dealer, I talked international relations with Gavin, and Jared and I had a heart-to-heart after getting significantly sloshed. At last, I willingly sank into a deep, sweet sleep.
Quote of the day:
"You just seem like an electric toothbrush kind of guy." - Luke
![]() |
| (sign of the times) |

No comments:
Post a Comment