Sunday, March 9, 2014

Shades of JMU

          Long story short, we were eliminated by Delaware, 87-74. I didn't feel too bad, we had a solid run just beating Drexel, and the Blue Hens were first seed. Afterward, I drank with Jared, Sabrina, Haley, Luke and Malcolm, and we put on the premier of Neil deGrasse Tyson's Cosmos. Once our minds were sufficiently bent out of shape, we settled on The Simpsons for cheap laughs. (I maintain that The Simpsons is astronomically better than any similar show, be it Family Guy or South Park. Their subtle political jokes are the best. But I digress.) As the night went on, I ended up sitting in a dark room, drinking and bonding with Ariel, Emily, and Jared. In one of my first interactions with Emily, who is one of the most caustic people I've ever met, she accused me of being a possible racist because I'm dating an Asian. These are the risks we run when talking to angry sociology majors. More partying followed, and finally Emily and I shuttered ourselves in the bathroom for our first smoke session. Over the course of a few hours, we slowly developed a friendship to the strains of classic rock and sarcastic banter. Also, in the process of telling a story, she mentioned one of her best friends -- someone named Margaret, who studies at SUNY Purchase. Something clicked in my brain, and I remembered Shanti (also a student at Purchase) telling a story about a Margaret. I asked for her last name, and discovered that yes, this world is smaller than we're led to believe. What were the odds that: (1) Shanti and Margaret met each other; (2) Emily and I met each other, independently, at a much larger university; (3) I made the effort to befriend Emily, who is seriously mean; (4) that Shanti told me about Margaret; (5) that I remembered the story, 2 years later; and (6) that Emily would bring her up? Our brains were practically splattered on the wall.
          Quote of the day:
"All these generic white boy names..." - Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment