Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Sky Might Fall

          I got to the office early for a change, but needn't have -- today was as uneventful as yesterday. I also learned that on the first Tuesday of each month, the company hires a massage therapist to come in and give free 15-minute sessions throughout the day. The masseuse was quite strong and liberal with force; I came out of my massage feeling much less sore in muscles I didn't know existed, and genuinely happier, like someone had dekinked my soul. During the admin team meeting, without exaggeration, the view out of the window went from clear to more or less underwater in the span of thirty seconds. A wild storm blew up, just battered Cambridge, and was gone within ten minutes; the hail was between Gobstopper and golf ball size. I was looking at the skyscrapers across the Charles; they were completely engulfed in a cloud of fog and hail, along with the river itself. It was as if Nature was reaching out to flick us in the temple, saying, "Don't forget, I'm still here, and I can still kill you like that." It was wonderful.
          When I arrived at the apartment again, Alaric was smoking reefer with Jules and Nathan; Iris, Sara, Kofi, and Johnny all appeared as well. We ate pizza and a thousand Hi-Chews and watched some Avatar episodes from early in season one -- it's remarkable how much the animation improved over the course of the show. After this, a bit of House of Cards, and then the conversation naturally shifted to politics. We constructed a drinking game for the upcoming Republican debate, with a special rule for each candidate in both the main debate and the kiddie table "debate". (3x drink bonus: Rick Santorum says that he won Iowa!)
          Quotes of the day:
"You guys trying to give me some bad news?" - Ryan, the temp, when the admin team gathered around reception
"There's real world time, and there's FKH time." - Grace
"I was with this Russian guy, and he tried to make a 'that's what she said' joke... 'She told me this.'" - Johnny

No comments:

Post a Comment