Sunday, August 9, 2015

Wake the Sleepers

          For some reason, I woke up at the crack of dawn at Sabrina's. I quietly crawled out of the tent, feeling the dewgrass between my toes. There was a morning chill in the air, but everything felt right. I cleaned up basically all of the party leavings -- 99% cups, 1% everything else. (Sabrina's parents can feel free to adopt me now.) Most of the guests left after they woke, but our party lingered to eat breakfast, talk and play Fishbowl. Everything seemed streaked with sunlight, and yes, the star was rising in the sky, but that doesn't explain the warm glow that seemed all around and inside me. This was a happy time. We said our goodbyes, thanked the folks, and were sent off with a huge amount of leftover grub.
          The ride home was easier, partly because we took out the woofer and partly because Jennifer and I traded with Molly and Katharine F for the middle seat. It really was a splendid day: the sky bright and blue, with cottony clouds in all manner of interesting formations. A missed exit near Hartford took us for a brief detour through the city, where we found a giant T-Rex statue! We also hunted down more license plates, finishing with about forty states by the time we reached Boston. At one point, Iris spoon-fed pasta salad to Nathan while he drove, a harrowing experience.
          Safely home, Nathan and I continued with season three of Boardwalk Empire, kicking back with Limbo IPA and feasting on a full tray of fried rice from Sabrina. Only three more weeks in this apartment. Aside: One of my favorite things about traveling is finding new Snapchat geotags. Easily amused, I know.
          Quotes of the day:
"That's the hottest little donut sex I've ever seen!" - Sabrina
"My bladder is ancient." - Iris

No comments:

Post a Comment