This morning, I played a few rounds of hide and seek with Ryan. Though I'm not as small and sprightly as I was as a young lad, I still proved myself the reigning hide and seek champ. To put it modestly, I'm the best. I climbed inside a dog crate about ten feet from where Ryan was counting and eluded discovery until he gave up and called for me. Later, I crammed myself in a crawl space under the stairs and behind an unfinished wall inside our house. The old saying that says it's lonely at the top is true, though, because never being found kind of stinks at times.
In the evening, I ventured up to Shanti's for a hangout and a movie. We first watched Rubber, an unexpectedly wonderful movie about a malevolent rubber tire that has the power to explode objects (such as human heads.) The quality of Rubber's cinematography is such that its mindless plot is almost lent credence. After this, we decided to put another film on. Our choice, Waking Life, turned out to be one of the best movies I have ever seen. Waking Life tells a tale of a young man who keeps waking up only to discover he's still dreaming, as characters around him relate heavy philosophical insights. I found it to be a truly mind-expanding film, and definitely plan to structure one or more movie nights around it in the fall.
We watched Rubber during PRISM, actually! (well, on my part, it wasn't so much WATCHING as hearing it from the hallway, and being called in for certain scenes to be replayed for me...) And Waking Life sounds interesting. I might attend one of those movie nights you speak of. Yeah, I said it.
ReplyDelete