Research Methods was fascinating today, with the class flying into a debate over the ethics behind the Milgram experiment. If you're not familiar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment. Some of my classmates argued that the experiment was unethical by inflicting psychological harm on the participants; I maintain that a) the experiment relied on unethical behavior by the participants, especially considering the reason for its inception, and designing it otherwise would be moot; and b) to complain of the "trauma" to the people who thought they were inflicting potentially deadly shocks on others, just because they were told to, is an easy cop-out from confronting the issue at hand - that is, the power of authority to compel evil behavior.
Alaric, Sean, Ryan and I attended a seminar on off-campus housing at IV, which succeeded in making us very nervous. I might have some problems finding housing from August to September, which is not a problem I look forward to confronting. Katie and I shared dinner after this. I should mention that Sean and Katie are in a (kill me) Facebook official relationship, which is bueno. Aside: It's funny imagining how people discussed dating before the advent of social media sites.
No comments:
Post a Comment