I was mildly late to class again (R&P this time) but a movie was on and hardly anyone was there, including a conspicuously absent Prof. Miles. The movie, Romero, was a 1989 biopic about Venezuelan archbishop Oscar Romero; in between emotional manipulation and depressing violence, there was a glimmer here and there. Unfortunately, the film is from 1989 and really shows it; in the scene where the military massacres the protesters, the behavior of the extras is so poorly executed, it's uncanny. At least the movie got the point across: Can the clergy advocate violent revolution against oppression? In class, I'm preparing to argue that they can and should, in opposition to the movie's glorification of Romero's staunch refusal to take a side. Refusing to fight your would-be killers is not high-minded -- it's moronic at best, if not twisted.
After class, the Delivery Man came, and then Becky came, and then Nathan, Tom, Lisa, Alaric, Julia, Sean, Iris, Peter, Johnny, and Matt S came pouring in the door for a massive board game night. Escape, Pandemic, Fluxx, and 7 Wonders were all played; I was pissed off because for me, at least one round of Revolution was the whole point and it was pushed off all evening. I took some solitary time to read And Then There Were None, a classic Agatha Christie mystery with a quick pace, interesting characters, and a beautiful ending. This put me sufficiently at ease to rejoin the group, which at this point consisted of Sean, Alaric, David and Julia. We told riddles and jokes until Dave finally laid down the law about getting some sleep, and my mood was vastly improved by the time I went to bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment