Thursday, June 12, 2014

One King

          Professor Miles showed us photographs from his trip to Finland to promote his book (check it) and most of them were of him being a goofball in random locations. He gave a Tuukka Rask shirt to one of the organizers, took pictures with some Lutherans giving out free massages, and accidentally revealed that he's a Fulbright scholar. We discussed how postcolonialism and specifically the religious differences engendered by colonialism have impacted relations between modern-day countries, a topic I never gave any thought to. After class, I went to Blackman to rehearse with the others for our dual performances at Yawkey Way this weekend. Indians vs. Red Sox -- my homies vs. my hometown. It's gonna be a ball.
          At home, I went on a cleaning and organization kick. I rolled out a brown and tan carpet I'd salvaged from one of the trash rooms and set it up in the living room. It turns out that someone cut one of the edges off and did a really sloppy job of it, but I just slid that side under one of the couches. A flash of inspiration led me to clip my new lamp to the shelf by my bed, and it should serve ably as a reading light. Later on, I had a long conversation on the back step with Andrew from upstairs, discussing the charms of organized sports, beers and bars. Another nighttime run and Fallout 3 completed the evening.
          Quotes of the day:
"This chair is the cause of all our problems." - a guy in R&P, after a chair got in our way for the millionth time
"Quality of life improves tenfold." - the same guy, after I put the chair elsewhere in the room
"Modern Lutheran massage theology." - Prof. Miles
"I was able to out-NSA the Burmese secret police." - Prof. Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment