At the beginning of R&P, a dusky young man in traditional African garb entered the class and sat to the side. Prof. Miles said that something had come up and that he had to stop teaching at Northeastern after this summer. He then deferred to the man, now introduced as Professor Samaila. This guy seemed hip enough, and gave a brief and articulate discourse on Sufism in Senegal. Everyone listened intently. Prof. Miles eventually spoke up again ("I have not been entirely honest with you...") to say that he was not leaving Northeastern, that "Professor Samaila" is a pseudonym for the coauthor of one of Miles' books, My African Horse Problem -- read: his son, Samuel -- and that they haven't seen each other for 8 months. These two jokers completely suckered about twenty-five people with improv. I wasn't the only one who found it hilarious, but we all felt lied to for sure. After class, I skipped PBP to sleep until midnight.
Quotes of the day:
"You don't hear about violence in Senegal. We're chill like that." - "Professor Samaila"
"Academic dishonor." - girl in R&P
"I was delirious when I got home. I got Downs Syndrome for like an hour." - Mike M
...
Prof. Miles: "He was too small to hike the whole way, starting at 4 a.m., so we put him in a saddlebag."
Samuel: "No. You said walk and we decided we were going in the saddlebags."
Prof. Miles: "Revisionist history."
No comments:
Post a Comment