Friday, January 13, 2012

Sucks To BU

          Running on just four or five hours of sleep, I expected that Professor Feinstein's class on musicals at 9:50 would knock me out. I was mistaken. Walking in, I was greeted by the strains of the eponymous opening number to "In the Heights." I sang the piece in its entirety under my breath, and the professor reminded us to bring in music to play at the beginning of every class. Feinstein himself is pretty amusing. He's not so much comedic as slightly quirky and enjoyable to listen to. Also, he knows the guy who wrote the "Legally Blonde" musical, Larry O'Keefe!
          Iris' friends Cristina, Christina, and Eve visited today. They were eager accomplices to Alaric and I in our remodeling of her room, and are as bullying as me, if not as profane.
          Our spirits still burgeoning from the miraculous basketball victory, Sabrina, Jaimie, Alaric and I went into the hockey game with high hopes. Northeastern versus Boston University: the rivalry would be sizzling. At first, the game was impressive. Nearly all of the first period went by before the Huskies scored twice in quick succession. The second period got nasty as all sorts of fouls occurred and BU scored three times to solidify a lead. The last period brought another BU goal and a somewhat conciliatory NU goal, and the Huskies lost 3-4. There were a few memorable moments, however. One Husky lost his stick while defending the goal, two guys down due to penalties; rather than picking it up, he ignored it and blocked a vicious shot on goal by dropping to his knees. Another NU player threw himself in front of the puck to stop another shot in the third period, a hilarious move indeed. Rawlings, our goalie, had quite a few nope.avi moments himself. The first shot he deflected was knocked askew with an almost nonchalant shift of his stick; another was stricken from the air with the speed and grace of a ninja. The other good point of the game was our obtainment of some thrifty swag: one-dollar black shirts with BEAT BU in bold white.
          During the part when the red carpet is rolled out for the singer of the national anthem, Jaimie texted me, "I expect you to roll out that red carpet for me after you open the door for me from now on." So, we did. Alaric and I rushed back from the game, running up and down the halls on the ninth floor and banging on doors. "Bring all the red clothing and blankets you have. We'll explain on the way!" In a matter of about six minutes we built a nice red carpet leading from Jaimie's door to the elevators. Chris, Alaric and I, all clad in dark jeans, Beat BU shirts and black sneakers with white soles, served as security. After a heroic attempt by Ben at stalling her in the stairwell, Jaimie appeared to behold the carpet. Alaric quickly took her clarinet and purse, and Chris helped with her shoes. I took Jaimie's coat and swiped her card, and we ushered her into her room. I suppose this all goes to show that if ye ask ye shall receive. Or to be careful what you wish for.
          The downer of a defeat to BU didn't stop lots of people from throwing ragers, resulting in a lot of noise in the hall and people getting babysat. Meanwhile, Ryan, Alaric and myself performed the first deck workout of the spring semester, which went pretty quickly. I DJ'd with some TF2 remixes at first, and then Alaric took over with dubstep. Post-workout, Meredith, Lauren, Laura, Alaric and myself watched most of When Harry Met Sally and thoughtfully discussed the dynamism of sexual tension between male and female friends and whether it impacts the strength of their relationship.
          Quotes of the day:
"You have to become an idea!" - Alaric (quoting Ra's al Ghul)
"If I'm right, I won't let ignorance lie." - Meredith
"Someone's definitely trying to get laid." - a passerby, looking at Jaimie's red carpet

No comments:

Post a Comment