Sunday, October 18, 2015

In Circles

          I got up to make the perilous journey to Allston again, this time to meet Jennifer at the end of her shift at the bakery. Standing at the Tobin Community Center stop, the last timely 66 stood me up. In desperation, I chased it for a block before it pulled away, and I kicked a street sign. An angel must have heard me up in the church steeple, because a lady coming out of the center saw what happened and offered to drive me. Her name was Marie; she was a school bus driver, and very kind. Thanks to her I got to the bakery on time, picked up Jennifer (figuratively) and went back to her apartment to get warm. Emily A, Lucy, Jennifer and I all napped for a while; eventually we woke up to talk, and I worked on my blog while she did homework.
          We went to dinner at a sushi place down the street. We watched an international rock climbing competition on the TV -- those people are jacked! -- and I enjoyed seeing a "Fire Bruins Maki" on the menu, though probably not for the reasons the chef hoped. Dinner was great, and we came back to the Hill afterward. I ran to Figueroa's around 11 for snacks, but they had closed already; luckily I'd forgotten that I had a whole bag of fat, green grapes. (Can you hear me licking my lips?) We'd planned to watch The Road, but instead I read to her from some of the articles I've saved over the years. First was Christmas on Butter Creek, a country story, and then I read excerpts from soldier's letters in WWII until she drowsed off.
          Quotes of the day:
"Seven week goal: turn Al into a robot!" - Nick (courtesy of Alaric)
"Life has directions for each of us." - Marie
"Does the key have to ask for consent before you put it in the door?" - Jennifer
"Feeding each other. That's what love is." - Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment