Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Tort's Law

          I got up a tad late and sprinted to Roxbury Crossing in three or four minutes, sucking down air by the time I got to the gates. Someone was fixing one of the terminals and its incessant beeping clogged my brain. For the second time in two rides, a person next to me chose to listen to music without headphones, blaring it out of their phone instead, and by the time I got to the office I expected to blow an artery. The rest of the day was mediocre, busy but not overwhelming. Columbus fired their coach and hired the firey John Tortorella, formerly of the Lightning, Rangers and Canucks, which is just the greatest news. I think hockey twitter is going to get a lot more entertaining in the next few months.



          I was early in arriving at afterHOURS for the Andrea Gibson poetry reading. Jennifer, Grace, and Michelle were also in attendance for this lovely performance. Gibson's poetry is amazing, heartfelt, loosely arranged; raw electricity crackled in their voice. "It is not a good measure of health to be well adjusted to a sick society." Some of the work is tear-inducing in the extreme, centered around love, life and trauma. Their friend also read a poem, which was a cool little variation on an already stellar performance. People were sitting comfortably on the floor, but the afterHOURS people made everyone stand up to make more room, and then Andrea was like, "let's all sit down!" Everyone sat cross-legged where their feet had been a moment before, which didn't quite work spacewise, as you can imagine. Since I'd been hunched over a desk all day, my body decided not to cooperate when I tried to fold it into this little space, and I eventually moved out into the back of the room. Not the first or last time for afterHOURS to dick around with a perfectly good show. The walk home with Jennifer and Grace, who lives close by on Parker, was mostly consumed by an argument over which route back to the Hill is faster on foot. I expected Jennifer to stop at Grace's, and was surprised when she came home with me. We sat on the porch again, ate pizza and talked; later, hockey and Breaking Bad clips to prepare for Halloween.
          Quote of the day:
"Booking shows for college campuses is a pain in the ass. So thank you for letting me be the pain in your ass." - Andrea Gibson

No comments:

Post a Comment