Friday, May 25, 2012

Iron Man: Deluxe Canned Ham

          I received seven letters from Iris today. This isn't that "2 letters in one envelope" deal either. There were actually seven envelopes for me. Ian and Ryan each got a letter as well. I also put in my second day of work on the steel polishing project. Since I arrived an hour earlier, and what little novelty there had been in the training and work were gone (along with most of my energy,) this day seemed to last forever. The work setup there is very unusual; the artist and his wife don't exactly run a business. Rather, they spend their time and money improving their property, and have a crew of carpenters and other workers full-time, year-round. Each day there are two snack breaks wherein everyone is invited up to the house. They put out fruits, nuts, chips, cookies and other snacks as well as coffee and tea, and everyone sits around a room and either chats or sits uncomfortably. For now, I'm the latter breed, even though all of the people there are extremely pleasant and accommodating. I couldn't shake the discomfort of the knowledge that I was in the presence of more money than I will ever possess. Also, we discovered a tick in my upper ear lobe, which my coworker Billy pulled out with a relatively large pair of pliers after we realized we didn't have any tweezers. (He got it out, head and all.) Lastly, there was a massive, screaming fight between several of the workers after one of them threw a hissy fit and my boss called him an asshole. At one point, said guy (he's 60-something years old) threatened another carpenter with a pipe. I was glad to stay out of it and keep to my work.
          After work, I cleaned up and headed to Village Pizza to meet up with Chiara and a host of other old friends. I was the first there, and soon Kim (a rare Asian) arrived. Eventually, Shanti, Rose, Jo Ann, Chiara, Parker, Phaedra, Corrine and Penny showed up, and we loudly debated what to order. After about twenty minutes of filling the pizza parlor with this din, we decided to move to the village diner and ordered nothing. This felt extremely rude, but in a way I could laugh about. I had a milkshake and wrap at the diner, and had a great conversation primarily with Rose and Shanti. Afterward, we saw Avengers at the Orpheum. I liked it well the second time, though the cheesier dialogue was even more apparent, excruciatingly enough. I have arrived at the conclusion that some people are far more beautiful when in motion, Scarlett Johansson being the primary example. But seriously, for those who haven't seen the movie, check out this bit of teeth-gnashing banter:
     Black Widow: "These guys are out of legend, they're basically gods." (referring to Thor and Loki)
     Captain America: "There's only one god, ma'am. And he doesn't dress like that."
I actually cried a bit at that one. Post-movie, Shanti took me home and we discussed a backpacking expedition at some point, perhaps to North Lake or possibly Eagle's Keep. I've managed to see most of my Saugerties friends, but a few have still failed to materialize. Still on my hit list: Alexa, Murphy, Camille, Isiah and Peter.
          Quotes of the day:
"I totally read that as baked vagina ham." - Shanti
"That kid's mohawk is what. It looks like vagina hair." - Shanti
...
Me: "She's super cute, but she peed on the stairs last night."
Shanti: "I thought you were talking about your girlfriend."

No comments:

Post a Comment