Thursday, September 5, 2013
Just Us Chickens
It's Rosh Hashanah today, and all of the lawyers are out on holiday. This put me in a very relaxed, yet low-stress and productive mood (which is not to say that they stress me out, but having no authority figures around is always fun.) I paged through law databases to find case law on what constitutes reasonable attorney's fees, which taught me more about the lodestar method than I ever cared to know, but also led me to a case where BU was forced to pay out $30,000+ to litigant students with disabilities. Also, a misspelling of "summary" in one of the case citations led to this amusing line: "In an initial decision, the trial judge granted sugary judgment to the defendants..." Sugary Judgment should be a candy marketed to metal fans. "Now with more barbed wire bits!" I also received a call from this reticent mechanic in Florida who I've been trying to get in touch with for weeks and put together all the pieces on the tax mistakes (an addition mistake was itself mistakenly reported on the 941...) Finally, I tested out a different sandwich from Archie's: the Bostonian, a pile of ham, turkey, Swiss, tomato, lettuce, onion, coleslaw, and Russian dressing on dark rye (I skipped the slaw, so that might be cheating.) On the walk home, I met a very lost Spanish guy named Daniel who's visiting a friend in Boston; when I first ran into him, some lady over by the Methunion Coop housing was giving him completely wrong directions. I had a hunch that the airport was not in the direction of Northeastern, so I set him on the right path after a brief conversation about our colleges, the city, and various TV shows. At home, my plans to get some organization done were foiled by the inevitable afternoon nap, during which I had a crazy dream about Shannon and Harrison dosing me with various psychotropic substances and leading me into a laser-lit rave that reduced me to tears of joy. My plans for the decoration of my room are a little different from those of the past two years; instead of starting the collage in the center of my wall and spreading it out like a mold, I'm starting along the baseboard and spreading it upward, like the vines on the brownstones. Perhaps it will lend a new look to the scheme, but time will tell.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment