Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Lost Focus

          I woke up feeling quite groggy, which should not come as a surprise. Small pleasures from work: taking a dump on company time; picking up a BLT at Archie's, a Greek eatery in Pi Alley; finding a chiropractor with a phone number ending in "-NECK"; laughing at Northeastern's startling technological ineptitude. To elaborate on that last point, the girls in the office received a mass email from the university that was delivered to all of the senior class. Of course, some dingus failed to Bcc:, meaning that people had to scroll through thousands of names before reaching the actual message. A people's champion replied with only the link to the Wikipedia page on blind carbon copy. Less pleasurable: having to fax something to Staples for someone to pick up (prompting a resigned, "It's never easy," from Jeremy); getting an email from Northeastern about how my health plan wasn't waived and today is the deadline, despite having gone to the office in person to address this issue. In the evening, Iris and I went to afterHOURS to see Anjimile (Jackie's girlfriend and patently nice person) and glitch-hop outfit Baths, who I've listened to before with mixed feelings. We bumped into the Delivery Man and some random freshmen he'd fallen in with there and merged with their group. Anjimile put on a fine show replete with enthusiasm, shout-outs to Jackie, folky guitar playing, and even a fun cover of Weezer's "Say It Ain't So". Baths was not what I expected. It's remarkable how cranking the volume 500% turns a relaxing, glitchy pop dream into a terrifying, glitchy, danceable pop nightmare; "Ocean Death" is a completely insane track. Other songs, such as "Plea", burn with emotion and are well enhanced by Wiesenfeld's ethereal, looping vocals. I would absolutely love to see this band again. Aside: Some of the library's new tables are made of paper. You can sketch on them and peel off sheets to start over. It's pretty wild.
          Quotes of the day:
"I'm the ultimate social lubricant." - The Delivery Man
"I'm taking a booty call. I'm taking a booty call." - middle-aged woman on Tremont at 2 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment