Friday, May 23, 2014

Black Forest

          I shared a delicious but extremely expensive meal with Iris at Trattoria Newbury. I don't remember what I ate, but it's not overly important because the portions were minuscule and our server was completely clocked out. She was clearly not paying attention while taking our order, making a full repeat necessary; she came to our table maybe once over the course of at least an hour (this place is not very large); and she was cool to the point of uncaring while speaking to us. Even this I could have stomached -- bad day, perhaps? -- and then three or four dark, handsome younger men were seated near us. The server was immediately all over them -- flirting, making small talk, checking on them every ten minutes or whatever. It's one thing to have a mediocre waitress, but another thing entirely to be made to feel unwelcome and then have to see others get special treatment. This experience, coupled with the absurd pricing, means that I do not plan to return to this restaurant.
          In the evening, I went to "the Phons" (aka the girls' place on the Hill) for a summer party. Highlights: Mixology with Alaric, leading to the invention of a few amazing drinks and one really terrible one; hanging out with at least one Po Boy; seeing Eric again. Afterward, we went in for a landing at Domino's after AK's was closed, acquiring necessary sustenance and then heading home.
          Quotes of the day:
"1-800-WHERE-R-U?" - Meredith
"It's like a Jolly Rancher that got fetal alcohol syndrome." - Eric
"It's like a room full of humans!" - Meredith
"Show me your salami, girl. How black is your Black Forest ham?" - Eric
...
Eric: "I inhale aspartame."
Alaric: "Fuck yeah, live and breathe."

The Happy Birthday.
1 shot cake vodka
1 shot vanilla vodka
Dilute heavily with water
"Enjoy" this foul brew.

No comments:

Post a Comment