Saturday, May 17, 2014

Let Them Fight

          Hung over doesn't really describe how I felt at council the morning after Sabrina's party. I just tried not to move and drank extreme amounts of water to curb my raging headache. I had recovered enough by evening to join Peter, Johnny, Iris, Alaric, and Matt S at the theater for the new Godzilla flick. (Aside: I, among others, almost universally refer to Matt S by his last name, but I will set aside comfort in the interest of privacy here.) I shared some very strange brownies baked by Peter -- he forgot some essential ingredient, they failed to rise and were oily and the consistency of taffy -- before sitting back to enjoy the movie.
          I'd say this one warranted a 6.5 out of 10, taking into account that it's pretty dumb, but is also a kaiju film so that's to be expected. Pros of Godzilla: Giant rampaging monsters. A small number of impressively artful shots. "Let them fight!" - Ken Watanabe. KW's obvious in-universe Godzilla fanaticism. Fake science. Bryan Cranston (but only in the first half.) Body count. The guy from Kick-Ass. "GOJIRA!!!" Quality CGI. Interesting historical revision. Bright blue radioactive flame breath. Cons of Godzilla: Its marketing as a Bryan Cranston film when he is only in part of the movie. Wooden acting by most of the cast. Classic "nuke 'em all" trope -- see Iron Giant, The Avengers. Plot holes and head scratchers aplenty (example: the part where the hero just hops on a military train without any identification.) Way too many "monster is really close and possibly about to eat the protagonist" moments for them to be very suspenseful.
          Later, Nathan hosted me, Ariel, Iris, Alaric, and Julia for a couple of movies and their associated drinking games (since lost to time): Spirited Away, which a couple of us had not seen before, and Inception. Alaric, Julia and I followed this with a cigar walk after a few laps around the block with Nathan. Also, the Rangers beat the Habs in a flukey 7-2 win after Chris Kreider was tripped into Carey Price, the Habs' goalie. Price, also known as Jesus Price, is apparently injured and that means this series could get very bitter very quickly.
          Quote of the day:
"It would be bizarre if you were playing club sports or intramurals and a colorguard showed up." - Andy F
"Let them fight!" - John

No comments:

Post a Comment