Wednesday, May 7, 2014

"It's better this way. We are, both of us, out of time."

          I was up at 6:30 a.m. to read about civil rights for Public Policy & Administration (henceforth, PPA) and actually get through the assigned reading for once. We discussed suffrage in class, and I found myself thinking about convicted felons' lack of the right to vote. It doesn't make sense that they should be treated like enemies of the state even after serving their sentences, but looking beyond that, how can someone be deprived of one of the most important and basic political rights and still feel like a real citizen? Voting rights are obviously not an end-all solution, but not treating former offenders like the eternal scum of society can only help. Right? After class, Sean and I emptied everything out of the fridge into the minifridge/on to the counter/into an improvised icebox, and I smashed a great deal of ice that had built up over the pump in the back. I then read a long case brief in size 4 font for PPA -- Dukakis has assigned us the irritating task of submitting a question on each case by 5 p.m. the night before we discuss it, as if no work is done in the evening. R&P gets out at 5, meaning that on those days, I have to rush and do the question in between instead of taking time to eat and unwind. He doesn't even respond to the questions!
          I saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier with Iris, and it rocks. I still hold that the Captain America franchise is the best out of the Avengers collective, and this movie did not disappoint. I'll reserve commentary on the plot for fear of spoiling it, so I'm only offering random thoughts here. The whole film is rife with treachery, plot twists, and shady dealings, perfect for a SHIELD vs. Hydra scenario. I appreciated Batroc's inclusion in the opening minutes, and the entire intro scene is a hot mess of superspy asskickery. Dr. Zola's return appearance made me very happy; Scarlet Johansson's new hairdo did not, but she's still Ms. Fanservice. I spent practically the entire movie trying to figure out who Frank Grillo's character was supposed to be, concluding by the end that he might be a revamped Baron Zemo. (I was a little off -- he's apparently a revamped Crossbones, or at least shares the name of that character.) The animated credit sequence was unbelievably cool and worth another look. Cut off one head, and two will take its place. Hail Hydra! Later on, I went to Julia's for homemade pizza and a smoke session with her and Stephanie, and hilarity ensued. Steph had a laughing fit on the carpet, we discussed various social issues like race and class, and I submitted what I'd call a "redaction poem" to their collection (the poems are pages torn from a book with all but a few words blacked out.)
          Quotes of the day:
"Got something to say, boy?" - Iris
"Size is everything, sweetie." - Iris
"[Chief Justice] Warren was asked why we weren't locking up German Americans and Italo-Americans -- they were fighting us too. He replied, 'Well, when you look into the eyes of a Jap, you don't know what he's really thinking.' That's a quote! Can you believe this? That was the U.S. of A., folks. That was the U.S. that I grew up in." - Prof. Dukakis
"There's no legs!" - Stephanie, rolling around on the floor
"I have like 5 of the most sinister books on hold for me at the library right now. Heh heh heh." - Julia
"Guys, why am I so wise?" - Stephanie
"You're fat and unstylish." - Stephanie
"I was born ugly, then I got cute, then I got ugly again, and then I grew up." - Julia
"You break the rules. Like, in a safe way. But you break the rules." - Stephanie, re: Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment