In my dream, I was some kind of spy or warrior with a short sword. I was trying to infiltrate a small castle, but someone raised the alarm. A guard shot an arrow at me; I sidestepped and it missed, but severed the string on a red balloon trailing from my other hand. Feeling cowed, I fled from the fight. I looked for shelter in stony ruins, but found none and shivered in a cold rain. Two senses came over me at once: first, that I was completely alone in the world; and second, that I was being watched. Beyond the ruins, deep green forests shifted in a low breeze, impenetrable and dark, but no one was there. I hunkered down on the ground and woke.
First, excellent news! If you didn't already know, on April 28, the Supreme Court is hearing oral arguments on marriage equality! This term ends in June, so get excited. I expect that there will be little resistance -- Ginsburg, Kagan, Sotomayor, and Breyer seem like locks, and it's more than likely that Roberts and Kennedy will be on the right side of history this time. Auth. note: My day-to-day notes for remembering all this stuff usually take the form of cryptic jots, and the one for this said: "gay marriage in he court starts on the 28th of this month!" Indeed. Today was a day of getting it done, including a writing test for the healthcare co-op, panicking through a presentation and Q&A on the Iranian economy in IPE, and brainstorming the Bandquet awards with about half of the pep band council. Everyone was busy eating, drinking or talking, and I was running that show myself at times. I guess that's what being Events Coordinator entails. Later, I ran the 'Round Midnight show, also by myself. This was a perfect opportunity to go off the normal track and deploy some tunes I've been itching to play: "Django", "Maps", "1979", "Hungry Eyes" (because Sabrina was listening), "How Will I Know", and "Me and Bobby McGee" especially. It was soothing to DJ in solitude after the overstimulation of the council meetup.
Hockey section: There were five games tonight, and for me, five emotions. From worst to first:
Painful: The Sharks losing to the Stars at home, 5-1. Peace out, Sharks playoffs chances...
Rough: Wild shut out by the Jets at home, 2-0.
Justice: Canucks defeat the Kings 2-1 in the shootout at home, with the adorable Eddie Lack in net for Vancouver. Entertaining game: the Sedin twins with typical puck magic on the regulation goal, some dude named Higgins with a sick deke to sink Quick in the SO. Must-win for L.A.; good stuff.
Sweet: The Buffalo Sabres and their fans got a well-deserved 4-3 win over the Carolina Hurricanes because, well, the Hurricanes.
Godly: The Rangers came back and beat the Blue Jackets at MSG, with Stepan grabbing a clutch tying goal at 19:32 in the third and then the killshot at 4:10 in OT. The Grey Ghost struck first for NYR on an assist from Purple Hayes, which is a pretty good omen re: the Grey Ghost title for my piece. If we get at least a loser OT point out of our next game (against the Devils -- smirk), we clinch the East. If we win in any fashion, we clinch the President's Trophy, way ahead of schedule. The game was fun: tied three times, both teams led, tons of shots on goal, and an OT winner besides.
Quotes of the day:
"It's not a good government, but it's a stable government... We should be more worried about Pakistan than Iran, in my opinion." - Prof. Maness
"'Liberty' is obviously one of the vague generalities in the Constitution." - Prof. Tolley
"Did you have too much wine at your Easter celebrations?" - Prof. Tolley
No comments:
Post a Comment