I was caught in an awfully cold rain on the walk to the Orange Line, which seemed to be speaking as it pat pat patted on my head and back and neck: "You will never be happy after this night!" Then an inkling of carpal tunnel pain in my hands and a fucking gale blowing in the opposite direction rose up in concert, and all of a sudden my eyes were watering up because I could finally let it out. The way to the Community College stop, that long, windburned walk up and through the mess of overpasses separating Cambridge from Charlestown, was rock bottom for me today. On the train I composed myself; the walk home was crappily wet but I could see the light at the end of the tunnel.
When I got home, I found Johnny, Kofi, Jules, Nathan and Alaric watching The Late Show. Stephen Colbert was interviewing (still possible/probable presidential candidate) Joe Biden, and of course these are two funny and personable guys. The conversation turned to Biden's late son Beau, and Colbert handled it more delicately and with more finesse than I could have expected. It was touching, which I see as an unexpected bonus from the Report. This was cathartic. We then turned the catharsis machine up to eleven with the first episode of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. There's probably nothing I can say about Fred Rogers that hasn't been said, but he is one of my heroes. "If only you could sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; how important you can be to people you may never even dream of."
![]() |
| "You're not my neighbor, boi. LOL" - Fred Rogers |

No comments:
Post a Comment