I had to go to Welcome Week volunteering early after first making it home to change, and was greeted with free Hawaiian pizza and soda in the Frost Lounge. (I maintain that the Frost Lounge's name makes it sound way cooler than it actually is.) I then stood outside for like six hours in the North Lot, directing people with their luggage. In this new system, some guys contracted by the university take the students' stuff, the parents park elsewhere, and then they come back to retrieve and move in their belongings. A lot of these guys were horsing around, running around and yelling, talking smack to pass the time, etc. It was hot in the sun, and the day seemed endless. I tried to befriend the other volunteers, with minimal success. It was a pleasure to leave.
Highlights of volunteering: running into a fellow Rangers fan and sharing a funny exchange about living in a hostile city; more free pizza; pushing out the invitations for our upcoming party. We're going huge this time. I went home, quickly made my space presentable and had Jared over for a movie. We watched The Raid 2: Berandal, which picks up where the first Raid left off, but stands alone as a slow-burn gangster thriller. The action is ramped up and the action sequences sprawl wildly; there are two characters that fight only with hammers and baseball paraphernalia. If you like the first one, you will probably enjoy the second even more (though the "all in one location" element is discarded); if you dislike the first, this won't be your speed.
No comments:
Post a Comment