Friday, September 4, 2015

Shear of Light

          The office closed early because of the long weekend, whooooo! I went to Jennifer's when I got out and helped her clean house. We went to Shanghai Gate, a Chinese place right on the corner of Commonwealth and Harvard Ave, a fine choice. Shumai must have impossibly high profit margins at like $1 per, but I will probably still eat them. I also did my (questionably racist?) "text Iris when mystified by something Asian" procedure, bemused this time by the "tree fungus" on the menu; in my defense, she's a first-generation American and did know about it.
          Jennifer and I drank wine and watched Gone Baby Gone, a bleak suspense/thriller in which Casey Affleck is directed by his brother Ben to good effect; the cast is low-key loaded with Ed Harris, Michelle Monaghan, Amy Ryan and Morgan Freeman, too. The twists and turns are clever, though the "make me a martini you fat bastard" bar sequence and heavy Boston accents alone make it worth the watch. (This is the most unfavorable portrait of Boston I've ever seen.) In the interim, the wine attracted and killed a bunch of fruit flies, which was sort of funny, macabre and disgusting all in one. We gave each other Sharpie tattoos and I tried on a gift, a leather jacket. It looks all right.
          Quotes of the day:
"If I chose the wrong bagel, it could ruin my entire day." - Lauren P
"Maybe you should have been born without eyes." - Emily A

No comments:

Post a Comment