Have I mentioned that demons come by night to visit me, once in a while? Self-doubt is my favorite, for he is very powerful and very old -- about as old as me. There are the brothers two, regret and sorrow, who make an appearance every so often. There are a great host of others, as well -- distrust, contempt, worry. Some nights I really feel like a broken ace. Last night really was one of those nights.
Dispensing with that, I threw myself out of bed at half past one today. I saw my younger brother, Ryan, off the school bus at three. Seeing as it was a few degrees warmer today, I bundled up and cleaned some of my father's garage/workshop to avoid doing my own work. I am a very efficient procrastinator. I also got some work in on Iris' story, The Good Doctor.
For my evening entertainment, I attended the Saugerties choir concert. On the way there, Matt and I rocked out "The Judge's Return" from Sweeney Todd, complete with screams of pain and flaming jazz hands. I annoyed my absolutely fantastic choir and band teacher, Ms. Trees, and helped the senior high choir warm up. I was also pleasantly surprised that one of the junior high choruses performed "Simple Gifts," which brought back memories of "A Copland Tribute" in band my junior year. Also, it made me think of Rick Perry with a derisive chuckle. During the senior high portion of the show, I made a glorious comeback during the presentation of the gifts to Trees; attired in the blue choral robes, I inconspicuously accompanied the choir officers out on stage and presented flowers to the accompanist. After catching up with many friends, Matt and I left with Ian to begin the journey home.
We stopped at McDonald's and I gobbled twenty of Matt's twenty McNuggets. Resuming the drive, we contented ourselves with shouting random quotes from Spirited Away. "Here comes the rich man, he's very hard to miss. His butt keeps getting bigger, so there's plenty there to kiss!" Ian even did me proud with a Hunchback quote in his best Tony Jay voice: "Look at that disgusting display." Matt and I finished the evening with one of our famous sit-in-my-driveway-for-hours-in-the-car discussions. It was a great night, all things considered.
Quotes of the day:
Matt: "It's not like you had your sex antenna emitting waves."
Me: "...Are you talking about my penis?"
Matt: "NOOOO, it was a bad metaphor!" [a minute passes] "Emergency frequency, calling all orifices."
Additionally, several introductions.
Ian - My older younger brother. He's sixteen and all that that entails. He wants to match my facial hair but can only call forth a pitiful neckbeard. Also, he is hedging between taking choir and computer video production II. If he chooses the latter, it may spell cultural death for him. Also, he smells.
Ryan - My younger younger brother. He's seven and all that that entails. So pretty much the cutest thing ever, complete with little signs that he puts up all over the house with adorable misspellings. Also, he really wants a dog.
Mother - My mother's a supervising nurse at Kingston Hospital and she loves to tell me how I'm not fulfilling any of my responsibilities (spoiler: she's right.) She bakes awesome cookies once in a while and does a lot of crossword puzzles. She hoards a lot of stuff and every table in our house turns into a shelf about a second after it's clear.
Father - My father is a self-employed carpenter. If you're in upstate New York and you live in it, he probably built it or knows a guy who worked on it. He's part of the reason that I like most of the movies and music that I do: an early gift was a pair of CDs, namely Genesis and Rush albums.
Matt - One of my best friends, we go back farther than all but one of my friends. You know those Trojan condom commercials that are like, "get closer than ever before"? We're that close. Except metaphorically, not physically. Like brothers, but brothers who can talk about awkward things and sing a lot of showtunes together. We're pretty much the Riders of Brohan. There is never a dull moment when we're together. Also, he lives vicariously through this blog, is probably following everyone else's and can't wait to meet all my 9F friends.
Logan - The more recently acquainted of my brotato chips. Put simply, Logan is a badass. It's an intangible sort of thing. Except the killer physique and large hands that were probably designed by Slapaho Co., Int. Since becoming choirbros last year, we've had many a grand time playing with younger brother Sullivan's Nerf guns and hanging out in the Brothel, the garage in his backyard.
Katharine - My friend, the valedictorian. I never thought I'd say those words, but here we are. Katharine is an appreciably down-to-earth and modest person for her lofty position. She also rocks on the trumpet and I was proud to play second chair to her last year despite being a year senior. Her basement is an awesome man cave and is replete with gaming accessories. Her pool was the setting of a pre-Northeastern goodbye gathering with Matt, Alexa and I. Not that we're just friends for the cool stuff, or anything.
Alexa - A total sweetheart and wonderful alto singer. She has a tinkling, contagious laugh and does entertainingly dumb things sometimes, despite being quite a brain. Choir wouldn't have been the same without her help in saying aggravating things to Trees at inappropriate moments. Also, her dresses look pretty dashing on me, as we found out during some shenanigans at Katharine's.
Fallows - Among the youngest of my friends, Fallows has a presence of mind far beyond her years. That sounds really condescending, but she's one of the most mature people I know, which is not to say that I know a lot of mature people. I've had some great one-sided conversations with her over the past couple of years. We met in Cross Country and have been thick as thieves ever since. Again, this is just an idiom; she's pretty much skin and bones. Since I almost never use her first name, this should be the only friend I refer to by last name in this setting.
Sara - Also known as Best Friend, capitals required. Sara and I have a wonderfully antagonistic friendship and I cherish every moment. Example: We're driving around in her car. "Sara, roll down the window." "Why?" "Just do it. ...have you accepted Jesus as your Lord and Savior?" My career as the ramblin', preachin' Holy Roller ended quickly, but it was great while it lasted. Sara and I were track, French and choir buddies, so we got to see each other nearly all of the time. We even went to In the Heights together!
No comments:
Post a Comment