Wednesday, September 5, 2012

To the Pillories

          Today marks the first day of classes for sophomore year. My first class was Quantitative Techniques with Professor Rochefort, who seems articulate (if dry.) Also, he said all the slides from class would be on Blackboard, so he definitely gets props in that area. Jenny and Colleen, my first RA last year, are also in my class. This class is on the second floor of the Forsyth building in a mildly uncomfortable classroom, so I predict lots of dozing.
          I headed to the third floor of Behrakis for my next class, International Relations. I ran into Sarah, Anthony and Peter there, and ordered a new shirt while we waited for the other classes to get out. Professor Ogden seems pretty decent, though living in the past a little bit -- she made two references to the Soviet Union as if it currently existed. On the plus side, Behrakis is very comfortable and modern. The downside is that I need to sign up for a recitation once a week, and the only ones available were 8 AMs. Hence, I need to be up by 8 on Wednesday, but there's no lecture on Thursday, meaning my only class that day is at 4:35, excluding this week. Rose is in my class, but I don't figure that anything will come of it.
          My third class, Modern Political Thought, is clearly going to be one of my favorites. First off, the professor is named William Lovely III, which is just a sign that things are gonna be great. He's filled with a furious energy, an almost frantic need to share knowledge with his students, and I'm looking forward to a real intellectual challenge. Harrison and Jenny are also in this class with me, which is reassuring.
          Several of us attended a concert at afterHOURS: With the Punches and the Wonder Years. We met Shandana and Shannon there, and the music was pretty good, if not stunning. I was hoping for Cap'n Jazz-tier punk hero stuff, but left feeling slightly unfulfilled. Sean and I got burgers at UBurger, which is a really tasty burger joint and is conveniently located in Curry, about 30 feet from afterHOURS. Post-concert, I hung out with Iris and Anthony, then played some TF2 with Alaric. It was a long day for sure.
          Quotes of the day:
"That bookstore should be shot." - Professor Ogden
"And I thought, to ask such a question, you would not understand the answer." - Professor Lovely
"This is a very unpopular thought in academia. I've been pilloried for it, but I don't care because I know I'm right." - Professor Lovely
"The burly men of room 610." - Sean
...
On Marat's bathtub stabbing...
Student: "...Was he French?"
Prof. Lovely: "He was. So he deserved it."

No comments:

Post a Comment